Spare change

That was my birthday. I went to the original white coffee shop with my mate. Here came a beggar who spoke fluent Cantonese, "Hi Miss! I wish you have good health." We were then paused our conversation, quietly sipping our respective iced white coffee. His bowl came before me. I just laid down my head and looked away. My mate was just starring. I then put up my palm and signaled him to go away. He was still repeating the phrase before he left, "Missy, I wish you have good health."

This moment, we finally stopped speaking to each other. 20 seconds later, she asked, why didn't you just donate to him? I replied nonchalantly of having a really bad experience with terrible liar who cheated my kindness. She asked again, "What if he really needs the money for a bun or a cup of water?" Silent invaded afterward. "Looking at his back, that sight really hurts my heart. I wished I had spare change to buy him something to eat." She regretted of her act, and I thought I felt the same thing.

After having patients activities in the clinic, my colleagues brought me to Kg. Baru for some nice Malay lunch. We sat down and chatted about the activities, some planning and routine. Then, Pari asked about my golden crafted ring. I told her it was my grandma who got the ring symbolised of protection from Siam Wat. Here came a person in Thai monk suit. He was holding a bowl and asked for donation. My colleague who sat opposite to me starred at me awkwardly. I honestly said that I had no spare change for him. So the opposite colleague donated him a one-ringgit note. He thanked her and walked away to the beverage counter. He sat next to our table, sipping a cup of cold coconut drink to quench his thirst. Again, the feeling of regret invaded me and I was ashamed of myself already. I kept comforting myself, said, man, you have only a 50-ringgit note and 50 cents in hand. But I knew the thing was that 50 cents might mean a lot to him already because he could order a bigger cup of coconut drink prior to continuing his journey.

It's the desperation for living that put his dignity on palms/knees to beg the other strangers to fulfill his basic needs in living. This was my mate's remarkable comment for the beggar in coffee shop.

Comments

Sweetdb said…
Sometimes we just can't help every single person we see

Popular posts from this blog

Who shall be the next on the altar

Wednesday's Frisbee Day

不捨