2008 - 2012

Have you tried to look back in 5-year time and contemplate, hey, when I started to dream and imagine life after leaving school? Where I am currently standing, and what are the achieving rate for each goal I've set to reflect on the belief I have held on - are there achievable, realistic, and most importantly, have they set right for what I have been looking forward to.

Academic studies
In many ways, I had to thank UQ and its environment that gave me the confidence in writing assignments by expressing my creativity, point of view and arguments; the courage to speak up my thoughts in English during tutorial; the relief of gaining higher grades in university era; and the enjoyment to take pleasure in academic studies. This was where I picked up those shattered faith from being a shy, timid, and reserved Asian kid. This was also the starting point of me communicating with louder voice, with more certainty, and speak more facts than gibberish that I translated from Mandarin to English.

Lifestyle - living alone
Still I had this memorable moment of walking more than 10 kilometres to realty office to look for off-campus room because I did not know how to read a map, not knowing how to take a bus, and was too afraid to ask for help from the locals. I learnt to make friends, read a map, take bus from Zone 1 to Zone 5, work out financial spreadsheet, buy groceries, cook solid meals with limited fund, have dietary plan; and most embarrassingly, I bought my first sanitary pads on my own. It is no wrong to tell others that I grew up as a more responsible and independent person in Brisbane. And now, I am too used to live on my own and I am working on getting my own space in another 5 years time.

Working life
My first casual job in life was working in a Chinese restaurant by the riverbank. I had Chinese-Vietnamese as my bosses. We made friends with chefs from Hong Kong to China to Vietnam. We befriended our colleagues and we left work together. I hated Mongolian Beef and Peking Duck. Worked like donkey from Christmas Eve to New Year Eve, and lady boss allowed us to choose our favourite beer from the bar. I chose Corona as usual. We had full view of fireworks from restaurant's front door as bonus. Best of all was the money we earned we splurged in local trips.

I was very certain back then that I would pursue marketing career and follow its career path. My first job was adminstration job and it was a cheat from what I signed up for. Then I moved on to a marketing/business development job until I had got head-hunted to a marketing communications job that was more relevant to what I actually wanted to pursue of. Two years later, headhunter led me to product marketing job that was based in regional office. Now, that is another level of marketing I am climbing on. I would say this boldly that I am really lucky by now for having the job I want, working with the nicest mentors, and turning colleagues to friends.

Attitude
I was way cooler back then. But I was soon melted by the friendly people I met in my neighbourhood - and then I changed to be more polite and am able to say 'hey there' to the sales assistant, cashier, waiting staff, citycat staff, Disco Infernos, and even strangers because people seemed so passionate to greet you first. Of course this openness definitely thanks to the boosted self confidence after dipping in the Aussie cultures. I am uncertain if people change now but at least that environment made me a person with better attitude.

Travel - Backpacker style
After a month staying with my French housemate, I followed him and his Dutch mate to have a 3D2N backpacking trip in Gold Coast. Met two Italian girls. Barbeque, drinking free beers all the time, singing and dancing with Swedish in backpacker bus, went to 4 clubs in one night, Asian Rihanna, and had so much fun that the European thought Malaysian was someone really fun - because they met me first. Then my solo travel to Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast was pretty frequent, be it drinking, clubbing, or sunbathing on the beach. First and foremost impulsive trip was going to Japan. Then, I earned my money from casual jobs to travel to major cities the like of Melbourne, Sydney, and Cairnes. In between, we made road trips to local towns. We also experienced our first hailstorm in Brisbane CBD. Before we graduated, we had dilemma to choose between Tasmania and New Zealand, and eventually we chose the latter. No regrets at all. Until to-date, my mates and I still enjoy practicing this travelling style in a way to learn more about other countries while enjoying the journey to their tourist spots.

Social life
I have lesser but closer friends now. It is very arrogant but truthful to say that, according to my Bazi, I would not run out of friends but would have a lot of acquintances in life. It does not make me neglect but to appreciate people that partake along the journey when they are needed. First I had the Europeans, Munro group, the Thais, Unit 77, and then Lucians; then reconnected with the nerdy IT gang and HELPians. At work, I had Joy Luck Club, F Me and Medical Don't Care. If I were to fit in any more groups, seriously, I am certain the monthly calendar does not really allow.

Relationship
I used to have serious relationship that was defeated by long distances. I was single for four years before I met this gentleman over a casual lunch last year, who turned out to be my significant other. It was an amazing thing happened to me after few years of singlehood. Someone you're so comfortable to be with, someone who cares so much, someone who brings out the best in his partner, someone who keeps a balanced view of down-to-earth and romantic pursuit in a relationship, someone who acts louder than talks, and someone who understands the meaning of love. We still argue but we learn to agree to disagreement. I have changed to balance the act of receiving and giving, to throw less tantrums, to reason the point of disagreement, and to embrace his imperfection. He is someone perfect for me.

Resolution in 2013
  • Physical well-being: Exercise more, get fit, have better dietary plan
  • Mental well-being: think positive and be happy
  • Career: better performance in current job
  • Education: read more books
  • Self: improve meticulousness, improve communications, better time management


Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Shyuing,

This is Tracy, the "我在雲上看" blogger from Hong Kong. Long time no see. How are you?

I am amazed to see you still keep updating the blog, and i am very happy to know life treats you good from your words. Let't chat more later in facebook/ email / .... etc.

Do take good care!

Tracy
Xuyene said…
Dear Tracy! Can't believe that we're still able to reconnect via blog after so many years :) I'm doing good. I've just returned from Hong Kong for business last 2 weeks. How are you doing? I'm sure we can keep in touch in facebook. Do add me in shyuing@lycos.com :D

Popular posts from this blog

Who shall be the next on the altar

Wednesday's Frisbee Day

不捨